Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mold Making

Hey guys,

Well, I've been doing a bit of experimenting. Never made a mold before so I decided to give it a go and try molding the TR 2013 pendant I had sculpted.


I ended up sculpting two different pendants. This was the first sculpted from crayola air dry clay. I don't recommend this. Since it's water based clay, the mold maker eats it away even if it is sealed.

The second pendant was sculpted using sculpty modeling clay, baked in the oven and sealed.

My sources for Mold making is a bit limited where I live :(  I didn't want to invest a lot of money up front incase this was something I couldn't do, so I bought a simple kit from Hobby Lobby called Insta Mold. It came with NO instructions except to mix it 1 to 1....one part powder to one part warm water. The first time I tried it, it looked like lumpy oatmeal and the mold came to pieces while trying to remove the sculpt.  Finally after three attempts, I figured out the "secret" to mixing. Put the desired amount of water into a glass or metal mixing bowl, quickly whisp in small amounts of the powder mix until it begins to thicken and look like jello.

Suspend the model or sculpt into the mix and leave in a warm place to firm up.  I left it in place for about 10 hours before trying to remove the sculpt. Here's what I had at that time.

 
 
 
For the resin I used another Hobby Lobby kit. A low odor two part resin called EasyCast.  Simple to use, mixed equal amounts added green pigment and poured into the mold.
 
 
 
Then I waited til the next morning , a little over 12 hours and carefully removed it from the mold. It was still a bit "gummy" but a friend told me that was normal until it had time to fully cure.
 
 
I promise it does look better than the above photo LOL. I'm now waiting for it to fully cure, than I will clean up the edges a bit and take better photos.
 
 
Thanks again for reading and I hope this was a little useful ^_^
 
 
kat xx
 
 
If anyone is interested in one of these (or two or three lol) I will be offering these for sale. 



No comments:

Post a Comment